In a previous blog post I spoke about the clair senses as they relate to intuition. Today, I want to specifically discuss clairaudience or clear hearing. Clairaudience is the ability to hear sounds and/or voices when there is no physical reason around you. You may audibly hear sounds through your physical ears, or through your mind’s ear. Clairaudience is quite literally the ability to hear voices and/or sounds. Hearing voices, however, isn’t something to be afraid of. With development you can learn to recognize the voices that are speaking to you and you can even learn to block out ones you aren’t comfortable with hearing.
Signs of Clairaudience
- Easily identify people’s voices
- Adore listening to music
- Easily remember things that you have heard
- Hypersensitivity to noises
- Tendency to talk to yourself
- Penchant for giving good advice
- Hearing ringing or buzzing in your ears (differentiated from tinnitus in that clairaudience tends to last only a few seconds at a time and generally isn’t a bothersome noise)
- Hearing someone say your name when they didn’t or when no one is there
- Sudden bouts of inspiration
Keep in mind here that you do not have to experience all of these signs to be clairaudient, although most likely someone with clairaudient gifts will experience multiple signs. If you do experience several (or all) of these signs you are clairaudient, even if you didn’t realize or recognize it as such.
If you don’t recognize these signs in yourself you can develop clairaudient abilities. While some people don’t believe it, I firmly believe that everyone has psychic abilities and can develop those that are less prevalent or strong within ourselves. On the flip side, if you already know you are clairaudient, or are just recognizing yourself as such, it’s also possible to further develop your abilities.
How to Develop & Strengthen Clairaudient Abilities
- Work with your Third Eye Chakra- Chakras are energy centers throughout your body. Your Third Eye Chakra is located in the center of your forehead slightly raised above your physical eyes. It governs intuition and psychic abilities. It is most closely aligned with clairvoyance- the ability to see, but this chakra governs all psychic and intuitive abilities.
- Work with your Throat Chakra- Your Throat Chakra is located just as it says, in your throat. It governs communication.
- Practice Meditation- Because clairaudience is clear hearing, you need to be able to hear things within your mind’s ear. Meditation helps clear out the noise of our monkey mind (mundane thoughts) which gives us a clear ability to hear psychic sounds and voices.
- Repeat a mantra or affirmation- Affirmations are a great way to focus our intent over a long time. Repeating a phrase multiple times each day for however many days keeps us focused on reaching a goal or developing a habit or ability. A good choice for developing clairaudience is: I am strong in my clairaudient abilities. It is safe for me to psychically hear.
It is important to remember that clairaudience is only one psychic ability. It is common for people to have multiple abilities with one more dominant than the other. No one psychic gift is any more or less important than the other and no gift is more useful than another. There is no hierarchy of clair senses. I discussed clairaudience here and will be explaining the other clair abilities and psychic gifts in future posts.
Disclaimer: While clairaudience is about hearing voices, it does not negate the fact that mental illness is real. There are real psychological disorders that cause one to hear voices that aren’t there. However, hearing voices alone is not a determining factor of a mental illness. Generally speaking, in clairaudient individuals, voices are positive and affirming, whereas the voices one may hear during a mental illness are often negative, imposing, and instruct the individual to do things s/he is not comfortable with doing. This article is about developing clairaudient abilities and is not a substitute for medical or psychiatric advice.