In a previous blog post I spoke about the clair senses as they relate to intuition. Today, I want to specifically discuss clairalience or clear smelling. Clairalience is the ability to smell things that aren’t physically present to produce an odor. It is exactly like our physical sense of smell only there is nothing present physically that is producing the smell. You may smell something from your past in the form of a memory. In this instance, you aren’t so much smelling the thing as remembering the smell. With clairalience however, you literally do smell the thing. Clairalience also brings the ability to smell things we never have experienced smelling in the physical realm. Clairalience is linked closely with clairgustance. This is to be expected as our physical senses of smell and taste are linked. Sometimes, when we smell something psychically, we end up tasting it as well.
Signs of Clairalience
- Highly developed sense of smell
- Smelling the signature scent of a departed loved one
- Sudden smell that no one else perceives
- Sudden fits of sneezing
- Smelling something that isn’t present physically
- Experiencing a smell that you can’t identify
Keep in mind here that you do not have to experience all of these signs to have clairalience, although most likely someone with clairalience will experience multiple signs. If you do experience several (or all) of these signs you have clairalience, even if you didn’t realize or recognize it as such.
If you don’t recognize these signs in yourself you can develop these abilities. While some people don’t believe it, I firmly believe that everyone has psychic abilities and can develop those that are less prevalent or strong within ourselves. On the flip side, if you already know you experience clairalience, or are just recognizing yourself as such, it’s also possible to further develop your abilities.
How to Develop & Strengthen Clairalience
- Work with your Third Eye Chakra- Chakras are energy centers throughout your body. Your Third Eye Chakra is located in the center of your forehead slightly raised above your physical eyes. It governs intuition and psychic abilities. It is most closely aligned with clairvoyance- the ability to see, but this chakra governs all psychic and intuitive abilities.
- Work with your Throat Chakra- Your Throat Chakra is located just as it says, in your throat. It governs communication as well as our senses of taste and smell.
- Develop Your Sense of Smell- Actively seek out a variety of smells so that you learn to recognize them. Take time to notice and name the smells around you throughout the day. If you are in a perfume or candle shop (or anywhere with a large variety of scents) you can cut down on olfactory fatigue by smelling your skin. Your own physical scent is more powerful at resetting olfactory fatigue than coffee beans that you usually see in fragrance shops.
- Practice Mindful Eating- Slow down your meal and focus on the smell of your food as it sits on your plate and as you bring it toward your mouth.
- Repeat a mantra or affirmation- Affirmations are a great way to focus our intent over a long time. Repeating a phrase multiple times each day for however many days keeps us focused on reaching a goal or developing a habit or ability. A good choice for developing clairalience is: I have a strong sense of clairalience. It is safe for me to psychically smell.
It is important to remember that clairalience is only one psychic ability. It is common for people to have multiple abilities with one more dominant than the other. No one psychic gift is any more or less important than the others and no gift is more useful than another. There is no hierarchy of clair senses. I previously discussed clairvoyance, clairaudience, and clairgustance and will be explaining the other clair abilities and psychic gifts in future posts.