In a previous blog post I spoke about the clair senses as they relate to intuition. Today, I want to specifically discuss clairsentience and clairempathy or clear feeling. While both of these clair abilities regard the physical sensation of feeling, they are not exactly the same thing. There are subtle differences. Clairsentience is the ability to sense the energy around you. For instance, when you walk into a room and the hairs on your arms start to prick. This is an example of clairsentience. You are physically sensing the energy around you. Clairempathy, on the other hand, is the ability to feel the energy around you as if it is your own. An example of this would be the sadness or heaviness in your chest after talking to your friend about the death of her beloved pet. It is possible, and generally speaking the case, for clairsentience and clairempathy to work in tandem. It is also possible to experience one without the other. One surefire way to know the difference between clairsentience and clairempathy is to evaluate what you are feeling. Do you recognize the energy that another person is putting off because you can feel the shift in their energy? Or, do you physically feel that emotion within your own body? If what you are feeling is the former then it’s clairsentience. It’s clairempathy if you’re experiencing the latter.
Clairempathy is most commonly referred to as being an empath. Many empaths aren’t necessarily aware that this is what they are experiencing, especially if the physical feelings are delayed. In the example above, an empath may immediately feel a heaviness when speaking to her friend, but it’s also common for that feeling to be delayed until later when the conversation is over. Some empaths also do not recognize themselves as such because they mistakenly think that to be empathic they must feel the energy of everyone around them. That isn’t true. In fact, it would be pretty awful for anyone who did. We put up psychic defenses without being aware of doing so a lot of the time. This means that an empath may only take on the feeling of the energy around them in certain situations or with certain people. That doesn’t make them any less empathic.
Signs of Clairsentience and Clairempathy
- Sudden “gut” feelings
- Experiencing the feelings of another being
- Experiencing physical sensations like your hair standing on end when the energy shifts
- Intimacy overwhelms you.
- Crowds make you uneasy
- You prefer to be alone.
Keep in mind here that you do not have to experience all of these signs to have clairsentient or empathic abilities, although most likely someone with this ability will experience multiple signs. If you do experience several (or all) of these signs you are clairsentient or empathic, even if you didn’t realize or recognize it as such.
If you don’t recognize these signs in yourself you can develop these abilities. While some people don’t believe it, I firmly believe that everyone has psychic abilities and can develop those that are less prevalent or strong within ourselves. On the flip side, if you already know you experience clairsentience and/or clairempathy, or are just recognizing yourself as such, it’s also possible to further develop your abilities.
How to Develop & Strengthen Clairsentient and Clairempathic Abilities
- Work with your Third Eye Chakra- Chakras are energy centers throughout your body. Your Third Eye Chakra is located in the center of your forehead slightly raised above your physical eyes. It governs intuition and psychic abilities. It is most closely aligned with clairvoyance- the ability to see, but this chakra governs all psychic and intuitive abilities.
- People Watch- Sit in a busy place where you can observe people as they go about their day. Sit quietly and watch people. Tune in to what you feel when you see each person. Just take note of it and move on to watching someone else.
- Practice With a Photo- Go to a museum, find a website, or borrow a photo from someone. Make sure you practice with a photo of someone you don’t know. Look into the eyes of the subject. See if you can feel or sense what they are feeling in the photograph.
It is important to remember that clairsentience and clairempathy are only one type of psychic ability. It is common for people to have multiple abilities with one more dominant than the other. No one psychic gift is any more or less important than the others and no gift is more useful than another. There is no hierarchy of clair senses. I previously discussed clairvoyance, clairaudience, clairgustance, clairalience, and clairtangency and will be explaining the other clair abilities and psychic gifts in future posts.